Anuncios de COHO

A blog for the Coalition of Hispanic Organizations, a membership group based in the Kansas City metropolitan area.

Monday, July 03, 2006

MO Special Committee on Immigration

Thursday last week, the MO Special Committee on Immigration heard public testimony at Penn Valley Community College. The morning session was packed and there was a lot of attention given to the morning speakers who included Gilbert Guerrero, Guadalupe Center, Inc; Luis Cordova, Mattie Rhodes Counseling & Arts Center; Steve Begshaw, Home Builders; James Corwin, Police Chief; and Kris Kobach, UMKC School of Law. By the time the afternoon speakers had their turn, the number in attendance had dropped somewhat, and when I spoke at the tail-end of the scheduled afternoon speakers (Judy Ancel - UMKC/Institute for Labor Studies; Peter Coyle - Carpenters Union; Jim Stoufer - President, UAW Local 249; Duane Kelly - retired teacher/KCMO Board of Education; Burton Taylor - UMKC Director; Manuel Perez - KCMO Health Department; Dr. Dan Doerhoff - Eastland Superintendent; and Brenda Mitchelson - LINC/Local Investment Commission) - only a faithful, few stalwarts remained.

I want to thank Lynda Callon, Westside CAN Center for handling the scheduling of my testimony and making sure that I got the slot, even if it was at the tail end. There was no pressure and I got a position that most newly arrived immigrants and people are afforded at the "back of the bus". This helped me to deal with , check out and clarify some of misstatements and misinformation that had been given earlier that day in my testimony.

Since only half of the committee members remained, and I did work hard on my comments, I have emailed my prepared testimony to the entire committee, posted on this blog for COHO members and others to read. I also sent the committee the following link to ABC News. Please send any comments regarding this to me at rita@gkccoho.com I also want to thank Melinda Lewis, El Centro, Inc. who helped in preparation of speakers and who worked very hard to be inclusive. Mil Gracias!

PS: COHO meeting this Friday, July 7th at Tony Aguirre Community Center. MALDEF Chicago office, Attorney Ricardo Meza will attend, as well as State Representatives Cathy Jolly, Sharon Sanders Brooks and Tim Flook. Their presentation begins at 8:30am. COHO meeting and other business will commence at 8am. Michael Duffy, Legal Aid Attorney will attend to discuss COHO's 501 (c) 3 efforts.